Learn a New Language as a Family
There are many great reasons to learn a new language as a family. Not only does this present a good opportunity to learn new skills, but it is also an interesting and rewarding family activity.
Learning a New LanguageKnowledge of a foreign language is an important skill to have. Whether it is for business, school or simply as a hobby, learning a language is a process enjoyed by many people. Learning a new language, however, can sometimes be a challenge. The successful learning of a new language involves a high degree of motivation and commitment as well as the investment of time and effort. Many people fail in their goal because their enthusiasm wanes or the learning process is boring. An alternative to a person learning a language on their own is to learn a new language as a family.
- A whole family activity – many families enjoy sharing a hobby or an interest together. Learning a new language together as a family is a great activity that a family can share. It needn't involve lots of cost and the combination of public libraries and the Internet can offer a rich resource of learning materials. Learning a new language needn't be hard work or boring, there are many ways that learning a new language can be fun and engaging to all members of the family.
- Supporting children learning languages at school – another good reason to learn a new language as a family is to support children in their school work. Parents and children learning a language together means that they face the same issues and challenges. Children can gain a greater degree of confidence and this can be beneficial in the classroom.
- Learn about a different culture – learning a new language often entails learning more about another culture. This is a good way that a family can make the learning of a new language fun and a little different. Learning about food, traditional customs, local music and more can all help to bring the language alive and make the learning process interesting.
- Living abroad – a good knowledge of the language is essential when people are looking to live abroad. While it is possible to get by with the use of interpreters or translators, people who know the language of their chosen country receive more enjoyment and get more value from the experience if they have at least a basic understanding. Families who are looking to live abroad will benefit from learning the new language together.
- Holidays and vacations – a real benefit of a family learning a new language is that it will come in useful during holidays. This will help all members of the family to enjoy the holiday and to move away from the beaten track if required.
Keeping it InterestingOne reason why many families fail is because the process becomes boring or stale. Once learning a new language feels like hard work, many people start to lose their motivation. Keeping the process interesting and fun is a great way to ensure that everyone maintains their enthusiasm and focus.
Making the new language part of family life is key to this. This could include families referring to household items or foods in the new language, listening to or watching foreign language programmes via the Internet or looking at magazines or newspapers that are written in the language they are learning. Many DVDs have a range of different language options and this can also be a great way to make learning fun.
A family looking for a new interest or hobby may well find that learning a new language together is fun to do yet has very real benefits.